The Sage Colleges
Search:     Advanced search

How can I modify my Start Menu or "Help! I can't find 'My Computer'"?

Article ID: 86
Last updated: 14 May, 2012
Add comment
Views: 10096
Comments: 0
Posted: 27 Jun, 2008
Updated: 14 May, 2012

How can I modify my Start Menu or “Help! I can't find 'My Computer'”?

With Windows XP, or higher, you have a choice between the Classic Start Menus and the new "Bubblier" version. If the NEW version is active, you may not see "My Computer" or "My Documents" or other familiar icons on your desktop.

Instead, you will find them in the Start Menu.

This is a picture of what the Windows XP Start Menu looks like. Notice that is includes two columns. The one on the left is for commonly accessed programs. The one on the right, provides access to areas on your computer.

The Classic Look leaves "My Computer", "My Documents" and all the other familiar icons on your desktop. The Classis start menu is the one most of us are familiar with. It looks like the picture on the right.

Changing the Start Menu

As I mentioned above, you can determine which Start Menu you would like to use on your computer. It is very easy to set that. Using the right-mouse-button, click on the start button at the bottom of your screen. A menu will open, like the one below:

Select "Properties".

A new window will open:

In this window you'll see two tabs. The taskbar tab will allow you to customize the taskbar (the bar at the bottom of your window). The Start Menus tab will allow you to customize your Start Menu. When you have selected the style you would like, select "Apply" and then "OK". It may take several seconds before the changes are made and the window closes. Youd o not need to restart your computer in order for the changes tot ake place. You should notice a difference right away.

Again, don't be afraid to experiment!

Have fun.

For more information or assistance contact the Helpdesk (518)244-4777 or email at helpdesk at sage dot edu

Questions or Suggestion? Contact me at:
Ellen Marie Murphy, Director of Technology Integration
Phone: 244-4580

Add comment
Prev   Next
Guide to Windows 7 versions (and their differences)      How do I map a network drive in windows XP?