Archiving Email - Mail Client Option
Archiving MySage Email- Mail Client Option
Archiving email is an integral part of most of our lives at Sage. It allows you to keep your inbox free of clutter, and under quota, while also allowing you to keep backup copies of old messages. Have you ever thought "if I only had that email from last year....". Follow the instructions here and you can easily keep emails from as far back as you wish.
Note: You will need to come up with a naming scheme for your archived files—one that will give meaning to your archives that ensures archive labels are not repeated. If the name is the same as a previous file, e-mails WILL be overwritten. When creating your email archive in campus cruser, give your archive files names like June_2008_in or June_2008_out. This is a clear file name that is unlikely to be overwritten and easy to identify when you have many archive files.
Desktop Mail Client (Outlook)
1. Ensure that your mai is already set up for Outlook using the directions here: kb.sage.edu/kb/index.php
2. Select File from the main menu bar in the open Outlook window
3. Select the Advanced tab from the left column of the Options menu
4. Click the button AutoArchive Setttings
5. In the window pop up, fill in and check the box for your desired frequency of archiving, desired options for deleting old and expired items, and how often to clean out item. Select what user folder you want to move old items to, and then click OK.
Desktop Mail Client (Thunderbird)
Setting up your client. Please note that if you are using a Sage PC (faculty and staff), your computer may already have thunderbird installed. You may skip to step 2. STEPS 1-5 NEED ONLY BE DONE ONCE. THE SECOND TIME YOU ARCHIVE, START AT STEP 6 BELOW IN THE ARCHIVING SECTION
Download your mail from MySage choosing Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird. Save it to your desktop (or somewhere you can find it). Remember, it will be zipped. Specific steps to do this:
6. Go to your email in MySage
Note: When archiving large amounts of email or email with large attachments the process sometimes will fail. Start over and it should work fine.
For more information or to get assistance, Contact the helpdesk at 518-244-4777 or by emailing email@example.com.
Article submitted by Jon Brennan